Monday, September 21, 2009

The Case of the Missing Ear Bling - an Open-and-Shut Case - Part 1

I've been tantalizing my friends on Facebook this weekend with a secret that I was keeping. However, I'm ready to reveal everything. Drum roll please...

Mark told me that he wanted to ask Laura to marry him! He said he needed some help designing a ring that he could present to her on Friday night when he popped the question. What could he give her initially before selecting something more permanent at the jewelry store? His glance shifted from my eyes to my sparkling bling-filled ears.

I got the hint. I replied, "Mark, I can help you with this task, and we can use one of my ear bling to accomplish it." The wheels started turning, and I came up with a plan to fashion the perfect ring. However, Laura was in and out of the house on Friday. When she came home, I strategically sat in my beach chair so she wouldn't see my bare ear.

Mission accomplished! She didn't notice a thing. However, my rather astute friend Festus was a bit more observant. He confronted me about the missing bling. I should have thought this out better, but I said that I didn't know what happened. It was gone when I woke up this morning. This was not a good thing to say to an aspiring cowboy sheriff. Festus insisted on calling Officer Po Po to file an official police report.

Officer Po Po arrived in his brand new police car and asked me a bunch of questions - when did I first notice the bling was missing, who did I interact with that day, etc. When I insisted that it was no big deal, he looked at me quizzically and shook his head. He could tell I was hiding something, but he just couldn't put his finger on it. After Po Po left, I breathed a sigh of relief and vowed to continue with my project in secret. I would avoid all monkey contact until my mission was complete.

Sparkly ear bling, you're about to become an engagement ring!

No comments: