Saturday, October 24, 2009

Big Monkey Throws a Wedding - Part 1

My humans, Laura and Mark, decided to get married spur of the moment on Thursday, October 22nd. Laura asked her co-workers on Wednesday if it would be okay for them to marry at the bank after her shift on Thursday. These ladies went all out at the last minute to create a fabulous atmosphere for the wedding and reception. I take my crown off to salute them.

Here is an old photo that Mark hunted down of he and Laura on their first date in May 1996 at an air show on Ft. Lauderdale Beach. Their heads are circled in green. I was trapped in a bag in Pennsylvania during this period of time, so I didn't even know them yet.

Fast forward to 2009... here are the happy couple still going strong!

Miss Cynthia presided as the officiant and notary public, while Miss Amy and Miss Deb witnessed the ceremony. Here is the transcript from our ceremony.

Miss Cynthia: We are gathered here today to unite Mark and Laura in marriage, which is an institution ordained by the state and made honorable by good primates throughout the ages.

Miss Cynthia to Mark: Do you Mark, take Laura to be your wife, to love, comfort, and cherish from this day forth?

Mark: Yes

Miss Cynthia to Laura: Do you Laura, take your monkey Mark to be your husband to love, comfort, and cherish from this day forth?

Laura: Yes

(Laura and Mark exchange rings.)

Miss Cynthia: Having thus pledged yourselves to each other, I do now, by the virtue of the authority vested in me by the state of Florida, the town of Crystal Beach, and the Honorable Big Monkey, pronounce you husband and wife. You may now kiss your chimp.

There wasn't a dry eye in the bank. Our wedding guests (from left to right: Farcus, Squeakers and Mr. Monkey) were quite moved. Squeakers was our guest of honor, as he lives at Miss Amy's house.

I would like to highlight the lovely atmosphere that Laura's dear co-workers and friends created for the ceremony. I was feeling rather royal, so I dressed as King Big Monkey for the day's festivities.

Farcus, Mr. Monkey and I frolicked amongst the autumn decorations.

4 comments:

Noah said...

Hi, Big Monkey!

Wow!! A wedding!! Mark and Laura are such a nice couple! Did you get to go on a honeymoon?

Love, Noah

Big Monkey said...

No honeymoon at this time, Noah. Life is too unpredictable right now. Hopefully in the future!

Thanks :)

Unknown said...

I love the pic from 1996. Makes me feel all young again. I mean, 1996 wasn't that long ago, and we all looked so young and fresh. Or at least, you and Mark did. 8-)

Big Monkey said...

Speak for yourself, Baboon Boy, I'm 59 and looking fresh as a newly knitted sock!