Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Sock Monkeys Around the World

You might be surprised to learn that the United States is not the only country enamored with the sock monkey. I met some friendly folks, Alan and Sue, from England last summer. I was taking my first set of digital photos of the family and preparing to create my blog! They were quite curious about my "project," and I told them I would e-mail them details when the blog became a reality. Little did I know that Sue was bitten by the sock monkey bug that day. She got her first sock monkey this Christmas and named her Rosie (see pictured below). Rosie and I are pen pals, and we compare notes on sock monkey life across the pond.


The following picture was taken in the Netherlands by cousin Carson (loyal blog follower who was also known as Carsoon the Baboon decades ago thanks to Grandpa). It seems as if the Dutch sock monkey depicted below is a famous astronaut in his country. Sock monkeys are expanding the frontiers of science in a big way.


I also recently discovered a charitable organization called "Operation Sock Monkey" that is spreading the joy of sock monkey adoption to underprivileged children in South Africa. If you are interested in donating a sock monkey and/or buying one of the cute fellows for yourself, click on this link.

4 comments:

SoCk mONkEy QuEeN said...

Spread the sock monkey's, big monkey by the you and S'morey are finished everyone in the world is going to have a sock monkey. Mission: sock monkey

Big Monkey said...

SoCk mONkEy QuEeN,

It's a noble cause, and we're just the two sock monkeys to accomplish it (S'morey and I).

Anonymous said...

I'm surprised there is no Baboon sock monkey.

BM is pretty large, maybe he is actually a Baboon...

Carson

Big Monkey said...

Carson,

I am livin' large, but you will always be the baboon! Ha Ha!