Friday, September 10, 2010

Introducing My New Baby Brotha From Anotha Motha - Big Wonkey! (Part 1 of 2)

For a while now, I've been begging Laura to make me a sock brother. I've even had his name picked out - Big Wonkey. When Mark was making my name necklace, he initially put the M in monkey upside down by mistake. We were joking about it at first, but then I thought hmm... Big Wonkey would be the perfect name for a baby brother!

Laura had some time off from work this past week (a staycation), so I politely suggested that her time might be well spent making my brother. The first step was to select the perfect pair of socks.

These aren't just any pair of red heeled socks. They are truly vintage. These socks were manufactured at the Nelson Knitting Company in Rockford, Illinois which closed in 1992. We are fortunate to have a couple of pairs that came from Mark's grandma's (my mother's) supply. These socks have some subtle differences from the ones that are produced today. The red heel actually curls up into a smile. My brother will be made from the same "genetic material" as me. We will almost be twins, except that we'll have different mothers. Hence, the title of this post - he's my brotha from anotha motha.

Because these socks are so special, Mark was reluctant to hand them over to a very amateur seamstress such as Laura. However, I had faith that her motivation to create the perfect baby brother would overcome any technical shortcomings.

Day 1 (Sock 1) - He's a torso with legs. I assisted with the stuffing process to ensure that Big Wonkey was blessed with a bulbous red heeled booty. We used polyester fiberfill stuffing along with some old (clean) pantyhose. Why the pantyhose, you ask? Well, he is supposed to be just like me genetically, and I am stuffed with a combination of fiberfill and pantyhose.

Brother, you are stuffed.

On Day 2, Big Wonkey got arms. We're jumping for joy on his progress so far.

No comments: