Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Cookin' with Big Monkey - Part 1

One of my specialties is chili. It's hearty, yet heart healthy and low fat as well. Although this isn't a Croation recipe, I am donning my traditional babushka while I prepare this meal.

The first step is to cook the meat which is 99% fat free ground turkey. Some ground turkey is quite fattening, so you need to read the labels before you purchase.

After the meat is cooked through, I add chopped onions and bell peppers. I use red, green and yellow to make it look colorful. To cook these faster, cover your pan and stir occasionally.

After the onions are translucent and the peppers are cooked, I add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and several types of beans (light red kidney, dark red kidney, black and pinto). I usually add the pinto beans a little further into the cooking process since they break down rather easily.

As you can see, lots of cans were used to make this meal. I do not throw these away. I rinse them out and recycle them.

No comments: